Follow

Monday 31 December 2012

2012 - A retrospective look at the year which changed my life

I sit here writing this blog reminiscing over the previous 12 months.

One year ago today, if you'd asked me what 2012 would mean for me. I would have responded that the Olympics would be a big deal and I would get one year older. That was the scale of my sedentary lifestyle.

Who knew how much my life would change following a decision I made on the 26th January?

It was on this fateful day that I decided to give up smoking. It was also on this day that I thought that I could complete an Olympic distance triathlon.

So here I sit looking back at all I have achieved and 2012 looked like this for me.

  • Distance travelled under my own steam - 703 miles
  • Distance Swum - 26 miles
  • Distance Cycled - 511 miles
  • Distance Run - 166 miles
  • Number of workouts - 141
  • Calories burnt - 78679 kcal
  • Time spent training - 86 hours and 9 minutes
  • Times this blog has been read - 11305

This is astounding in itself but if we break things down further the scale of improvement is massive

Comparison between 2011 and 2012
As well as this I have completed a sprint and an olympic distance triathlon and in the process raised £1025 for Cancer Research. 

Not bad for a years work but if we consider what I have planned for 2013, there's a long way to go.

2013 will mean for me
  • Completing 5 triathlons ranging in distance from sprint to ironman on my own.
  • Completing an olympic triathlon as part of a relay.
  • Swimming a minimum of 210km as someone on Twitter challenged me. This is equal to swimming the channel six times.
  • Training as a BTF level 1 coach
  • Assisting in the running of a new triathlon club in Sheffield.
  • Raising as much money as I can for Help Harry Help Others
  • Beginning to enjoy running
  • Training everyday in January as I have signed up for the Poppyfields January Challenge.
01/01/13 edit

It seems that I have signed up to several challenges for 2013 through the wonderful medium of Twitter

I have signed up to

  • #DryAthlon and aim to become a #DryAthlete by not drinking for a minimum of one month. This should help with my planned weight loss.
  • #ChannelChallenge which involves swimming the English Channel as many times as possible in 2013. Obviously I will not be swimming the English Channel for real but will be completing the 35km as many times as possible in 2013 by swimming in pools and outside and logging the distances completed.
  • #12runsofchristmas this involves running everyday for 12 days from the 26th December. I am currently on day 7 and will be going for a run later. This challenge has seen me set new personal bests for 1km, 1 mile and 2.5km and there is still another 6 days of running to go.
  • #PoppyfieldsJanuaryChallenge involves me exercising every day throughout January and if I miss any days I have to pay a fine to charity of £1. For more information on this challenge please check out the blog here. http://www.shortfatbaldsid.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/poppyfields-january-challenge.html?m=1
  • #FitTeam13. This is not a challenge but more of a Twitter movement set up by Stuart Amory who is a personal trainer to celebrities like Jake Humphrey. Every month he posts a video on YouTube which his followers aim to complete. The hashtag #FitTeam13 connects like minded people on Twitter and has put in touch with some wonderful people. For more information on this please check out Stuart's blog. http://stuartamorypt.com/2012/12/28/what-was-fitteam12-and-what-is-fitteam13/
If you're feeling particularly generous and would like to donate to my quest, you can do so at www.justgiving.com/triathlon4harry 

Thanks everyone for reading and continuing to support me in my quest.

Michael



No comments:

Post a Comment